• Supporters of St. Josephs Academy raise money for the school at An Evening with the Angels.

auction

An Evening with the Angels: a Smashing Success Despite Relocation

• Taylor Swift accepting her Grammy for Album of the Year.

Features

Grammys Recap

• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• A handmade palm leaf cross from Palm Sunday reminds Catholics of the Lenten season.

campus ministry

Leaping into Lent

• A lady celebrates Mardi Gras by wearing traditional purple, green, and gold clothing for a parade.

Features

Marching Into Mardi Gras

• St. Joe student volunteers at St. Joe Serves.

campus ministry

Celebrating Catholic Schools Around the World

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Students Celebrate Holiday Traditions

Unknown
St. Joe students perform at the annual Winter Concert.

Across the world, holiday traditions can take on many different forms depending on specific cultures or religious beliefs. However, these traditions continue to vary among members of the same culture and even those who live in the same location. At St. Joe, each student celebrates the holidays in their own unique way. Junior Kate Hulsen enjoys viewing Christmas lights each year with her family. 

“My favorite holiday tradition is going to the Garden Glow at the Botanical Gardens with my grandparents every year before Christmas. All of my cousins come, and we always go out for dinner afterward,” Kate said. 

Junior Megan Schoemehl enjoys going to her grandma’s house to celebrate. 

“My favorite Christmas tradition is going to my grandma’s house on Christmas Eve each year. We eat Lebanese bread sticks, open gifts, play games, and watch movies,” Megan said. 

Students sing and dance at the Chrismix dance.

Students are also invited to celebrate the holidays at school in any of St. Joe’s traditions. Every year in December, the school hosts a “Chrismix” dance. For the first time this year, it was a formal dance, which meant that students wore formal dresses instead of the Christmas pajamas that had been worn in previous years. Student Council also sponsored the 12 Days of Christmas during the last two weeks of school before winter break. Each day, there was a different Christmas-themed activity for students to participate in. Some of the activities included finding the school elf, wearing fuzzy socks, watching Christmas movies, and drinking hot chocolate. St. Joe also hosts a Winter Concert each year. At the concert, which is presented in the school theater, both the Instrumental Ensemble and the Frontenacs perform a variety of Christmas carols. 

These traditions are only a few of the many that students participate in each year both at St. Joe and in their own families.