Serving the Dear Neighbor on Skates/START Club on Ice

St. Louis Public Radio

Seniors Margaret Sommers and Grace kelly helping Rana learn to skate.

Grace Kelley, Print Layout Editor

On January 8, students from across Saint Louis gathered to make lifelong memories with the city’s newest residents. The event was a partnership between Saint Louis Teens Aid Refugees Today (START) and International Institute who both work to support refugees throughout their community through various services. This time, students as refugees went ice skating. 

Refugees arrived at Steinberg Ice Rink and were greeted by volunteers eager to help. It was apparent that everyone involved was excited to get out onto the ice. One young girl told a volunteer that because Afghanistan did not have ice rinks, she was excited to be in America, where there are many ice rinks. She had never been to an ice rink before, yet, her eagerness to learn this new skill was displayed by her big smile and jumps of excitement. 

Volunteers led the refugees inside of Steinberg to suit them up with skates and cold weather apparel. The majority of the refugees did not speak English proficiently but the language barrier was easily aided by Dari and Pashto phrases printed out onto sheets of paper. Since Dari and Pashto are the official languages of Afghanistan,  it was essential that they were both provided. Volunteers held up signs reading “What is your shoe size?” in the refugee’s language.

Once skates were laced, coats were zipped, and everyone was equipped with Hot Hands and gloves, the ice skating began! Despite the wipeouts and slow pace, there was no shortage of laughter and smiles. Along with ice skating, refugees and volunteers enjoyed a classic American treat, S’mores! 

Reporters from St. Louis Public Radio joined volunteers and refugees at the event. They interviewed and took photos, later recognizing the volunteer’s work on their Instagram account. Margaret Sommers and Grace Kelly, students from St. Joseph Academy, were featured on their Instagram helping Rana, a young girl from Afghanistan, skate around the rink. By covering the event, reporters helped to raise awareness of the problems that refugees face and introduce their listeners and followers to new charities that need their support. 

It was beautiful to see St. Joseph’s Academy’s volunteers connecting with the refugees and learning about a new culture. Junior Sarah Gilmore volunteered at the event by helping the younger kids learn to skate.

“It was so fulfilling to see the kids smiling with excitement their first time ice skating. I had so much fun getting to know the families and laughing at our many falls while skating” Sarah said. 

Junior Emily Murawski also helped out and became good friends with the girls that she was helping. “The event was a great opportunity to expand my comfort zone and meet amazing, new people.  The girls I was paired with constantly made me laugh and smile, it was truly such an eye-opening experience” Emily said. 

The event was not possible without them and they helped to create memories that will last a lifetime for both themselves and refugees.