Following Tradition in a New Way with Senior Ring

Sophie Gloriod, Print Editor

Junior Ring is a loved tradition that every student awaits from the second she walks on campus at St. Joe. Each year, the juniors at St. Joe are eager to receive the green and gold ring. The ring is given to each student in a box decorated by a sophomore. This sophomore box decorating is a tradition that highlights the “Not I, But We” spirit. However, the Class of 2021 faced a few obstacles in getting their typical ceremony due to COVID-19. 

Junior Ring typically takes place during the spring; however, in 2020 when COVID-19 struck, St. Louis had to go into lockdown. This forced the Class of 2021 to forfeit its tradition. Class Office has worked tirelessly to make sure that the current seniors are able to partake in this beloved tradition. While it may not have been the same, Junior Ring (now nicknamed: Senior Ring) took place on February 12, 2021. 

Instead of the whole school, along with the family of the juniors, being present for the ceremony and mass, it was just the current seniors. The ceremony was instead live-streamed to the SJA community in order to follow CDC guidelines. Also, there was not the usual Ring Dance on

the night of the ceremony. Instead, girls were able to spend that night with their families at home. 

Senior Kelsey Rowland was extremely excited for this tradition to occur. 

“I know that it isn’t the same as it usually is, but I still couldn’t wait for Junior/Senior Ring. I love my ring and I am super happy I got to share this tradition with all the St. Joe alumni,” Kelsey said. 

Seniors were also allowed, and encouraged, to dress formally as they would for the typical ceremony. Senior Madison Weishaar was glad they were still able to get dressed up nice. 

“I love getting all dolled up,” Madison stated. “I was kind of sad I wasn’t able to wear the dress I had picked out, so I’m super happy I got to wear it. I always love seeing what everyone wears to the ceremony!” 

While the Class of 2021 may not get the typical Junior Ring ceremony, Senior Ring was just as special. It is an important tradition that officially welcomes the girls into the “Not I, But We” family at St. Joe.