Dreaming of Mission Week

Seniors%2C+%28from+left+to+right%29+Annie+Mortland%2C+Clare+Barry%2C+Sarah+Gillmore%2C+Jane+Mortland%2C+and+Brynley+Wall%2C+pose+to+show+the+2022+Mission+Week+sweatpants%2C+sweatshirts%2C+and+hats.+

unknown

Seniors, (from left to right) Annie Mortland, Clare Barry, Sarah Gillmore, Jane Mortland, and Brynley Wall, pose to show the 2022 Mission Week sweatpants, sweatshirts, and hats.

Jo Carollo, Senior Staff Writer

St. Joe student body was excited for Mission Week and eagerly anticipated the excitement and energy that will fill the environment in school. Mission Week’s noble cause is to raise money for those in Peru, and the school takes this goal seriously. That does not prohibit the glee students feel during the many enjoyable events that occur throughout the week. 

One of the most exciting yet stressful moments during the whole week was the revealing of the clothes. Sophomore Caroline Joyce looks forward to this secret being uncovered once the class office members show the clothes that are exclusive to buy at the kickoff. 

“I am so excited to see the designs that were chosen, and I can’t wait to buy more clothes to add to my closet,” Caroline said before the kick-off.

The closing event of Mission Week is the long-awaited talent show for faculty at St. Joe. This comical event is sophomore Carter Eiseman’s favorite part of Mission Week. 

“I love watching the teachers just have fun and out of the classroom environment. Last year’s show made me laugh so hard, so I can’t wait to hear the funny jokes this year!” Carter said.

Sophomore Clare Miller was thrilled for the class event. The sophomores planned a movie night with hot chocolate that the students appreciate during the cold weather. 

“They chose the movie, Home Alone, which is one of my favorite Christmas movies, so I’m super excited to kick off the holiday season. I also simply love spending time with the class, and I can’t wait to bond with everyone outside of school,” Clare said before the event. 

Sophomore Ali Kennedy prepared goods that were sold around school. This is the source of a good percentage of the money that was given to those in Peru which only makes the tasty treats even better. 

“I l[oved] seeing everyone selling their food, and it all [tasted] delicious. I also knew it is going to a good cause, so I enjoy it that much more,” Kennedy said. 

Each class offered their own lunch sponsored by a restaurant. For sophomore Izzie Patritti, she loves to try these different meals. 

“There [were] so many options to eat for lunch throughout the week that I normally don’t have. I loved eating from the restaurants instead of just eating my lunch from my house,” Izzie said. 

Puppy chow; a popular Mission Week snack. (Brent Hofacker)

Sophomore Enza Bommarito looked forward to dressing out. That tradition allows students to wear any Mission Week gear from past years, so many students, including Enza, never wear their uniform during this time. 

“I [was] so comfortable during the whole week. It’s the one time we can wear sweatpants all week which will just make school so much better,” Enza said. 

Sophomore Margee Buehring was focused on raising money. She loved to give to the community while also enjoying herself. 

“I love the competition between each class, especially since it goes towards such a good cause. Not only is it exciting to see how much money we donate, but I love how passionate each class is to win!” Buerhing said. 

Overall, there were countless activities to enjoy and capitalize on during this chaotic but favorable week of the year for many in the St. Joe community.