Service Sunday Kicks off Mission Week 2017

Students+from+all+grades+including+Kristin+Strout+%28junior%29%2C+Chickie+Slane+%28senior%29%2C+Molly+Boersig+%28senior%29%2C+Olivia+Sullivan+%28sophomore%29+and+Sara+Frautschi+%28freshman%29+gathered+in+Mrs.+Jane+Garvin%E2%80%99s+classroom+to+sort+hats%2C+gloves%2C+and+scarves+to+be+wrapped+with+Christmas+ribbon+and+distributed+to+our+dear+neighbors+at+Saints+Peter+and+Paul.++

Jane Garvin

Students from all grades including Kristin Strout (junior), Chickie Slane (senior), Molly Boersig (senior), Olivia Sullivan (sophomore) and Sara Frautschi (freshman) gathered in Mrs. Jane Garvin’s classroom to sort hats, gloves, and scarves to be wrapped with Christmas ribbon and distributed to our dear neighbors at Saints Peter and Paul.

Marissa Ledbetter, Staff Writer

Service Sunday is the beginning of Mission Week, a week full of clothes, puppy chow, and parties. Service Sunday is dedicated to serving the dear neighbor without distinction. According to Assistant Principal Karen Davis, Saint Joseph’s Academy raised more than $2,000 from service hours alone.

Students enjoy helping out in their communities, as well as spending time with their friends.

“Service Sunday is such an amazing way to help others and it really brings the classes together,” junior Claire Naegele said.

The freshman class achieved 62 service hours collecting a total of $310 dollars, sophomores completed 13 service hours collecting a total of $65, juniors accomplished 186 service hours receiving $930, and the senior class completed 158 service hours receiving $790.

This money, along with all the money collected during mission week, will be given to the Sisters of Carondelet Saint Joseph for their missions in Peru, Uganda and here in St. Louis.       

The freshman class raked leaves on Saint Joseph’s Academy’s campus. The junior class baked cookies and raked leaves at Ashlyn Wingett’s house. Social Studies teacher, Mrs. Jane Garvin, hosted a “Santa’s workshop” in her classroom where students wrapped presents.

“The wrapped gifts will go to the homeless shelter, with the Angel Outreach girls,” Mrs. Garvin said. “ It is truly amazing to see young women wanting to help out the less fortunate and the girls are what make the day so special.”  

“I’m really proud of how many service hours my class put in and I think it was a really beneficial experience,” said freshman Veronica Ledbetter. “Service Sunday is the essence of ‘serving the dear neighbor without distinction.’”