Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Lodes

Science teachers Mrs. Katie Lodes and Dr. Rose Davidson viewed ice cores from all over the world while at Sci-I Polar Ice workshop sponsored by the National Science Foundation, Rutger’s University and The Ohio State University in July 2017.

Sara Kirsch, Layout Editor

There are many wonderful teachers at our school, but one that particularly stands out can be found in the science department, Mrs. Lodes. She can be found in the science wing teaching Honors Biology and AP Biology. Mrs. Lodes has been at St. Joe for many years (this is year 16), and has made a significant impact since her arrival.

Students have loved being students in Mrs. Lodes’ classes, especially honors Biology. She works hard everyday to put together an organized class. Students have noted that her preparedness for class was evident and that she always made many resources available to help all of her students.

Junior Helen Ann Stone, who had Mrs. Lodes for Honors Biology as a sophomore, notes, “She was really dedicated to each student’s understanding the concepts of the class. She was skilled with communication, especially as she put all materials students needed and each class day’s itinerary on blackboard: I really appreciated that.”

Mrs. Lodes guides her Honors Biology students through science fair as well.

Junior Gretchen Allman adds, “Mrs. Lodes was always really helpful especially when it came to science fair, I always felt like I was prepared.”

Mrs. Lodes also moderates two clubs at St. Joe. These clubs are Earth Angels and Brain Bee.

Earth Angels is a club that focuses on the environment.

Brain Bee is a club in which students read a information packet on the brain. The students then go to a competition at Washington University where they take a quiz on the information they learned. Mrs. Lodes guides the students in the week leading up to competition, and accompanies them to the competition as well. Last year, the students that attended did well.

Junior Anna Sadlo, who participated in Brain Bee last year, says, “Brain Bee was so much fun. Mrs. Lodes really helped me prepare and feel confident in myself in the competition.”

Mrs. Lodes has a degree in Animal Science and Secondary Biology Education from the University of Missouri-Columbia. She also ran cross country and track while she was there. She earned a Masters of Arts in Biology in 2005 from Washington University. She loves hockey, and the ocean. She is married to Mr. Lodes, a theology teacher at St. Joe, and they even won the poll for cutest faculty couple last February. She also has two daughters at St. Joe, Sophie, a senior, and Margie, a sophomore.