• Supporters of St. Josephs Academy raise money for the school at An Evening with the Angels.

auction

An Evening with the Angels: a Smashing Success Despite Relocation

• Taylor Swift accepting her Grammy for Album of the Year.

Features

Grammys Recap

• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• A handmade palm leaf cross from Palm Sunday reminds Catholics of the Lenten season.

campus ministry

Leaping into Lent

• A lady celebrates Mardi Gras by wearing traditional purple, green, and gold clothing for a parade.

Features

Marching Into Mardi Gras

• St. Joe student volunteers at St. Joe Serves.

campus ministry

Celebrating Catholic Schools Around the World

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

SJA Celebrates Mission Week Kickoff!

Kathryn Portman
Students rush to buy clothing from the junior table, where hats, tank tops, and shorts are being sold.

Every year, the students and faculty at St. Joseph’s Academy commemorates and advances a long-standing history of service to the school’s good neighbors in Peru. This exciting tradition began with the Mission Week Kickoff on November 13 during Event Time. SJA was buzzing with excitement for the day that would initiate a week of beloved festivities.

The event commenced with an introduction from a group of SJA alumnae, and several of them reminisced fondly of past Mission Weeks at the Academy. Among the attendees were nuns from the Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse who had served at the school in Peru that benefited from funds raised during Mission Weeks. The sisters described their work to the students and expressed gratitude for the fundraising activities to support the mission. Sophomore Chloe Gloriod explains how this sentiment revitalized the integral focus of Mission Week.

“I thought it was a very helpful reminder of the real purpose of Mission Week and why we raise funds,” said Chloe.

With this interest in mind, Ms. Hotop, Principal of Student Affairs, described how the service and fundraising align with the school’s motto of “Not I, But We”, as the effort is collective among all who attend St. Joe. She also reminded students how the contest between classes to raise the most funds, while competitive, is also a synergic endeavor focused on serving the community. The spirit of giving continued when the sisters kindly donated to each of the classes and wished the best of luck to the student body.

Then, Hotop revealed the amount of money raised in past years, which totaled $1.6 million! This announcement incited thunderous applause from the audience as they realized the potential impact of their efforts over this week. While Mission Week is largely known for comfortable clothing, baked goods, and fun events, students can also appreciate the fact that all funds from the week ultimately contribute to an amazing cause.

Finally, class office representatives from each class walked toward the center of the gymnasium to reveal

The senior class officers, Karina Weiss, Grace Roethler, Langley Mayers, and Lauren Miner, show off their newly acquired Mission Week attire.

their respective articles of clothing for sale. Students cheered as they displayed the colorful attire associated with their year. These included freshman shirts, sophomore pajama pants and shirts, junior caps, tank tops, and shorts, and the coveted senior sweatshirts and sweatpants. After the officers returned to their spots, Ms. Hotop returned to signal when each class could run to purchase their desired items. All students were excited, waiting for their turn with anticipation.

As Hotop called each class in turn, the gym fell into chaos. People dashed around, eager to get their hands on their desired merchandise before they sold out. Underclassmen and upperclassmen frequently exchanged money for their outfits, collaborating to meet both ends. Students could be seen carrying a stack of products for all of their friends. Sophomore Sophie Mitchell shares her perspective on the exhilarating ordeal.

“Mission Week Kickoff was very chaotic and exciting and definitely one of the most fun days of the year. It’s so exciting running to get all of the clothes you want and seeing all of the different things you can buy,” said Sophie. 

After students retrieved their goods, they quickly changed into their new clothes before class. People were delighted to get into the spirit of Mission Week, and everyone in attendance left the event excited for an amazing week dedicated to camaraderie and service.