The Dash for New Mission Week Fashions

Emily Rines

Sophomore Anna Spalitto shows off the sophomore class’s Mission Week clothing during the kickoff assembly.

Emily Rines, Senior Staff Writer

Nothing gets St. Joe students more excited than one thing: Mission Week.  Students race through the gym yearly to purchase the new year’s Mission Week clothing.  This year was no different. Students of every grade level ran through the gym to buy the vast items from all grade levels, most popularly, the seniors’ items.  

The senior class designed a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a trucker hat; the junior class designed shorts and a long-sleeve shirt; the sophomore class designed pajama pants and a t-shirt; finally, the freshman class designed a t-shirt.  No matter which item and design you bought, it was sure to be cute, fun, and unique.

Monday, Nov. 14 started the excitement of Mission Week. It was also the day when every class sold all of their clothing.  Students across every grade level prepared to sprint toward whatever class item they wanted to purchase; however, the long line formed around one class: the seniors. 

Everybody wanted to buy the cozy sweatshirts and sweatpants that the seniors had to offer.  Their cute designs always impress, too. The sweatshirt was light cream and featured a pink blindfolded angel.  The sweatpants complimented it through a dark navy with the same pink angel.

The junior, sophomore, and freshman class clothing were also a big hit.  Many students rushed to the sophomore stands to purchase purple pajama pants that sold out in just a few minutes.  The junior and freshman classes were also popular purchases.  The juniors sold a light blue bro tank featuring a yellow smiley face, a white long-sleeve shirt with hot pink and green writing, and grey shorts, and the freshman sold a light pink t-shirt with flowers all over it.  No matter your grade, you were sure to find something cute and comfortable during the Mission Week clothing sales.  

Although Mission Week sales are exciting for everyone, they can be stressful for some students, primarily lower-classmen, who are not guaranteed the senior class’s clothes.  Since the seniors and juniors pick out their clothes first, the sophomores and freshmen can only have what is left over.  Some sizes or items might be sold out when the sophomores and freshman get their turn, so there is always a fear of missing out on cute Mission Week clothes from any class.  

Sophomore Sarah Schoemehl shared her tactics for getting Mission Week clothes.

“I convinced my senior sister, Abigail Schoemehl, to get me a senior sweatshirt.  Then, I split up with my other sister, Megan Schoemehl, to get other items and made a run for it!” Sarah said.

A senior class officer showcases the senior class’s sweatshirt and sweatpants during the Mission Week Kickoff. (Emily Rines)

The freshman class had not experienced Mission Week before, so the dash for Mission Week fashions was a new adventure for them.  Some freshmen students relied on their upper-classmen friends or siblings; others, on their own two feet.

Freshman Campbell is one of those who experienced this tradition for the first time.

“Mission Week was so fun!  I wasn’t expecting it to be so crazy, but it was also super cool!  I’m so happy I was able to get the senior clothes from a really nice senior I know!” Campbell said.

Overall, the Mission Week clothing this year did not disappoint.  The vibrant and unique designs made Mission Week more fun for everyone.  Now, students will remember this week when they wear their Mission Week attire on Wednesdays throughout the the year.