• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

• Piles of papers wait to be organized as part of St. Joes ins for the 2024 spring semester.

Features

Out With the Old and In with the New

• The senior class making memories during first semester

Features

Seniors’ Last Semester

• (from left to right) Freshmen Peyton Peters, Bella Sedlack, Amelia Trost, Caroline McQuaid, and Madelyn Emge dressed up in an 80s theme at the Villa vs. St. Joe field hockey game.

Features

Moving Onto the Second Half of Freshman Year

• Fireworks light up the sky as the new year begins.

Features

Jumping into the Second Half of Junior Year

• St. Joe students perform at the annual Winter Concert.

holidays

Students Celebrate Holiday Traditions

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Starting Strong

Bob Miller
Senior Meredith Dunn carries the ball up the field.

The start of a new school year means the start of fall sports. For the past several weeks, St. Joe’s athletes have been putting in the work to excel, whether that be on the field, court, or course. Particularly, the field hockey team proves themselves to obtain a gritty effort, and their hard work shows through their successes from the start of the season. Since starting the season, the field hockey team’s triumphs and determined attitude has put this gritty work ethic on full display.

With field hockey standing as one of the most competitive and popular girls’ sports in St. Louis, competition between local high school teams remains a constant aspect of the sport. The bar for talent is set high as it spans throughout every school. However, St. Joe’s team does not come anywhere close to falling short of these great expectations. 

In the past weeks, the field hockey team faced fierce competition. Despite an upsetting loss in their first game against Rockwood Summit, the team prevailed, winning the continuous three games that followed. They went head-to-head against one of their toughest competitors, MICDS, in a fast-paced and tense game. The intimidation and anxiety strayed away from the players’ minds as they started the game off strong with high intensity. Their actions quickly paid off when they scored the first goal and took the lead. Even after scoring, the team’s ability to remain focused and consistent proved to be honorable as they ended the game with a 4-0 lead.

Junior Grace Ghere passes the ball. (Bob Miller)

Margee Buehring, a junior on the varsity field hockey team voices her insights on the team’s victory over MICDS. 

“Every game we seem to be getting more connected and better as a team. MICDS was very good, but we played consistently throughout the whole game, which helped us to end with the shutout,” Margee said.

When asked what this victory means for the rest of the season, Margee says she believes that the team’s future looks bright. 

“If we continue to play the way that we did in the MICDS game, I think we should see many more wins this season and have a good shot at state this year,” Margee said.

Although aggressive competition sticks out as a major factor in field hockey, the sport contains many moral values as well. This year the team decided to choose one word to capitalize on throughout the season to stay consistent on and off the field: “fun.” 

Maria Clever, a junior on the varsity field hockey team, shares the reason behind the team’s focus for the season.

“The team’s focus for this year is to have fun. Already during this season we have gotten too serious and caught up in the game that we forget it is supposed to be fun. Now, before every game we write “FUN” on our wrists to remind ourselves,” Maria said.

Throughout the short span of the 2023 season, the field hockey team foresees a successful future. Implying the dedication they are willing to put in to see victorious results, while also maintaining a lightheartedness, St Joe’s field hockey team stands out as a team to beat this year.