• Supporters of St. Josephs Academy raise money for the school at An Evening with the Angels.

auction

An Evening with the Angels: a Smashing Success Despite Relocation

• Taylor Swift accepting her Grammy for Album of the Year.

Features

Grammys Recap

• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• A handmade palm leaf cross from Palm Sunday reminds Catholics of the Lenten season.

campus ministry

Leaping into Lent

• A lady celebrates Mardi Gras by wearing traditional purple, green, and gold clothing for a parade.

Features

Marching Into Mardi Gras

• St. Joe student volunteers at St. Joe Serves.

campus ministry

Celebrating Catholic Schools Around the World

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Catching Up with the Softball Team

Mr. Scott Moore
Junior Addison Scharf hits the ball into the field.

Many people across the country love watching Major League Baseball, but watching softball is a little less ordinary.  It does not receive the excitement Americans have learned to expect from the MLB.  In that regard, softball is the best-kept secret; baseball fans can still enjoy the same type of sport while supporting a less popularized version.  

At St. Joe, students and other fans have the same opportunity. Recently, St. Joe’s softball team has encountered many struggles; last year, they combined with another team, Rosati Kain, to play because very few students tried out.  However, through that hardship, they persevered, and this year, they overcame other hardships, too.

Many new softball players, including junior Kate Burns, joined this year.  Kate had not played softball since middle school, although she dedicated herself to doing the best she could and getting better every practice.  In addition to practicing, Kate mentioned that the softball team was easy to join because they all were welcoming. 

“Everyone is friends with each other despite the difference in ages,” Kate said.

The team spirit and love they all have for each other is seen not only in the team but outside of it.  The fans can all tell the team is having fun.  Junior Molly Malone, whose sister, Alana Malone (a sophomore at St. Joe), plays on the softball team, sees the team’s spirit whenever she comes to a game.

“The St. Joe softball team has such amazing energy, and they put effort into every game, regardless of rankings or scores; they’ve worked so hard to rebuild their program, and I am so proud to have a little sister on the team,” Molly said.

After a team huddle, the softball team breaks out to play. (Mr. Scott Moore)

Although the team is not ranked very high, they still have found ways to keep their spirits up.  With only one win, most teams would simply give up, but the St. Joe Softball team has never given up.  They survived combining two different schools into one team, scrambling to find players for this year’s season, and fought the urge to give up when the scoreboard did not agree with their level of effort.

Kate Burns agrees that statistically, the team is not doing as well as they hoped; however, the score doesn’t reflect their dedication to the team, the sport, and St. Joe.

“Even though the scoreboard doesn’t show it, we’ve gotten better since the beginning of the season,” junior Kate Burns said.

Needless to say, the St. Joe softball team is courageous, dedicated, and persevering in every respect.  Their willingness to be hardworking at practice, their ability to overcome numerous obstacles, and their commitment to each other keep the sport of softball alive today.  No matter their hardship, they know they will push through it.  Their record of wins vs. losses may not be perfect, but their record for overcoming adversity is.