Cooking Your Way to a Mission Week Victory

Brent Hofacker

Puppy chow; a popular Mission Week snack.

Julia Rhodes, Digital Managerial Editor

One of St. Joe’s favorite traditions is just around the corner: Mission Week! Taking place the week before Thanksgiving, this week is all about friendly competition between the four classes trying to win the most money for St. Joe’s missions in Peru. One of the biggest and most fun ways students will raise money for their class is by bringing in fun treats they’ve made to sell to students, faculty, and staff.

One of the most popular recipes sold through the halls during Mission Week is Oreo balls. The following is the recipe to make these:

• Step 1: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Step 2: Mix cookie crumbs and cream cheese together in a bowl; roll into balls and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze cookie balls until solid, about one hour.
  • Step 3: Melt white chocolate baking chips in the microwave for one minute.
  • Step 4: Dip cookie balls in the melted chocolate, removing balls using two forks to allow excess chocolate to drip back into bowl. Arrange coated cookie balls on the baking sheet; refrigerate until coating is firm, about 10 minutes. 

Junior Vivien Kozeny sold her Oreo balls her first Mission Week at St. Joe.

“They weren’t super hard to make at all, and I sold out almost immediately the first day I brought them in,” she said.

Another highly favored recipe sold and bought throughout the week is puppy chow. The following is the recipe to make these: 

• Step 1
    In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate; add peanut butter and mix until smooth.
  • Step 2
    Remove from heat, add cereal and stir until coated.
  • Step 3
    Pour powdered sugar into a large plastic bag, add coated cereal and shake until well coated. Store in an airtight container.

Freshman Lydia Wiley has not experienced a St. Joe Mission Week at all yet

“I’m so excited! I love puppy chow. That will definitely be one of the first things I buy,” she said, expressing her excitement for the week.

Money is also raised through class-sponsored lunches, Mission Week apparel, Music for the Missions, and others. However, the student-made recipes always stay a crowd favorite.