• Supporters of St. Josephs Academy raise money for the school at An Evening with the Angels.

auction

An Evening with the Angels: a Smashing Success Despite Relocation

• Taylor Swift accepting her Grammy for Album of the Year.

Features

Grammys Recap

• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• A handmade palm leaf cross from Palm Sunday reminds Catholics of the Lenten season.

campus ministry

Leaping into Lent

• A lady celebrates Mardi Gras by wearing traditional purple, green, and gold clothing for a parade.

Features

Marching Into Mardi Gras

• St. Joe student volunteers at St. Joe Serves.

campus ministry

Celebrating Catholic Schools Around the World

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Uniting For Justice at Unite4Justice

The+2023+Unite4Justice+conference+attendees+pose+in+front+of+the+site+for+their+service.++
Unknown
The 2023 Unite4Justice conference attendees pose in front of the site for their service.

The Unite4Justice Conference is held annually. This year the conference was co-hosted by St. Joseph’s Academy and St. Louis University High School. The conference lasted two days: the first was spent learning about and discussing the intersection of faith and social justice work, while the second was spent out in the community. 

On Thursday, November 2nd, St. Joe hosted the all-girls schools participating in the conference, while the all-boys schools gathered at SLUH. St. Joe hosted Incarnate Word Academy, Cor Jesu Academy, and Nerinx Hall representatives. The day began with a presentation from Maddie Thomas, a 2015 St. Joe alum. Thomas graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2019 with a degree in Peace Studies and Theology and a minor in Catholic Social Teaching. Thomas is currently working on earning her Master’s in social work from Washington University in St. Louis. She spoke to the conference about her experiences in social justice work and advocacy. 

Following Thomas’s presentation, the conference attendees participated in small group discussions facilitated by St. Joe campus minister, Mr. Mike Finucane. Senior Audrey Hiatt participated in the Unite4Justice conference and learned a lot about the St. Louis community. 

“I really liked being able to speak with other girls and schools and relate to situations and see similarities between all of our experiences,” Audrey said.

Also on Thursday, SLUH hosted students and faculty from St. John Vianney High School and St. Louis Priory School. Their day followed a similar structure to that of the St. Joe conference attendees. However, their keynote speaker was Father Louie Hotop, who coincidentally happens to be the twin brother of St. Joe Principal of Student Affairs, Ms. Anna Hotop. Father Louie is a 2009 SLUH graduate who has ministered across the country and the world. He spoke about the impact of his work with social justice, especially his experience serving at the U.S.-Mexico border. 

SJA alum, Maddie Thomas, presents to representatives from various STL schools.

Following his presentation, the students at SLUH participated in similar small-group discussions, exploring the role of social justice ministry in the St. Louis Catholic high school community. Unite4Justice Conference organizer and St. Joe Diversity, Culture, and Climate Coordinator Dr. Julia Wilkinns-Khormann found her experience with this conference very rewarding. 

“My favorite part of organizing this year was getting to work with Mr. Finucane because he’s new to SJA and it was nice to collaborate with him, bounce new ideas off each other, and develop a friendship,” Wilkins-Khormann said. 

On Friday, the two groups came together to serve the community. Students and faculty from SLUH, St. Joe, Nerinx, and Incarnate Word spent the day on Friday at Promise Community Homes. Promise Community Homes is an organization that provides housing to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the greater St. Louis metropolitan area. The students split into three teams to perform service. The red team spent the day addressing Christmas cards to the residents, the yellow team worked cleaning chairs, tables, and a community kitchen, and the green team helped out by performing yard work. Mr. Finucane found the conference very inspiring. 

“It’s very moving to see high schoolers and young people realize their agency and independence in the pursuit of justice work and ministry, especially, in their faith,” Mr. Finucane said. 

Unite4Justice provides a unique opportunity for students across the St. Louis community to unite and channel their passion for social justice and their faith. The participants and organizers left with numerous ideas for furthering their connection between faith and justice, and increasing ministry in their communities.