The Joys of Christmas Shopping

Jenna Akins, Senior Staff Writer

It is finally time to start Christmas shopping. Christmas shopping can be a stressful activity for some with having to think of who to get gifts, what gifts to get, and where to get them. Finding places to shop can be time consuming. Having to go from place to place trying to find that perfect gift.  

There so many different places to shop. It all depends on who you are shopping for. There are big classic places like Target and Walmart where you can find lots of the basic normal gifts. Then there are the small local shops that are always very grateful when people pick to do their Christmas shopping there. 

There is also the fact of shopping online. It is a much quicker way to get all your gifts at once. It allows you to have everything at your finger tips. But does online shopping take away from the joy of Christmas shopping. The joy of being able to tick another persons name on your list and the joy of knowing that they are be over the moon when they open their gift.

Out of a survey sent out the student body 11 out of 21 students said they prefer online shopping while 10 out 21 said they prefer online. That shows that neither option is significantly more popular than the other. 

Katie Hickman, sophomore, said that she enjoys in person shopping because of the way it makes her feel.

“I love the joy that going Christmas shopping gives me. It is such a fun experience. I also love the feeling of being able to get someone else a gift. It is such a warm fuzy feeling. My favorite place to Christmas shop is definitely target. It has just about something for everyone,” Katie said.

In fact in the survey many students also said that there favorite place to shop is Christmas. Many of them said it was because of the diversity in the items. They have so many different things that it is almost guaranteed that you will walk out of their with a gift for someone or maybe even for yourself. 

People scurrying around the mall trying to find the perfect present. (getty images)

Eliza Drayton, sophomore, said that she loves to shop at small boutiques. She loves seeing the joy on the small shop owners faces when she walks in.

“I love shopping at all the small businesses in STL. The people that work there are always so sweet. They are always willing to help with any shopping problems I have. My favorite place to shop is Paper Dolls. They have so many different styles. There is always something cute for you to find,” Eliza said.

Christmas shopping may be a hassle but it is also meant to be fun. It is meant to make you happy since you are able to give something to someone you love. Christmas is an amazing time to celebrate all friends and family.