Getting ready for a Great Year with STUCO

Margie Edwards

Seniors Representatives and the Executive Board performing a dance for the beginning of Welcome Week.

Jenna Akins, Senior Staff Writer

Student Council has always been an important part of running SJA. Student Council consists of class representatives and the senior executive board. This year’s Student Council executive board is already preparing lots of fun events for this year. This year’s executive board consists of Co-Presidents Erin Voigt and Natalie McAtee, Vice President Kanella Kasikas, Philanthropist Lucie McMillen, Commissioner of Communications Annie Mortland, Commissioner of Public Relations Emma Jaskiewicz, and Commissioner of Social Media Maeve Stuckey.

Student Council is responsible for many community-building events, whether it be Chrismix or Father Daughter Dance. They are always trying to make sure that all the students are able to enjoy school and always feel welcomed. 

The first week of school, Student Council hosted Welcome Week to make sure that all the freshman felt welcomed. They also hosted Septmber’s junior and senior dance, Fall Ball. Student Council handled all of the planning from coming up with the theme to picking out the decorations. 

Student Council Co-President senior Erin Voigt will be leading Student Council this year in planning all of the different events.

“This year we have some new [events] that I am very excited for and I am excited to see what everyone thinks. Being Stuco President is a dream come true and I love being Co-President with Natalie because we work so well together and we are ready to make this year amazing,” Erin said.

Erin also wants everyone to feel welcome to express their ideas to her. She wants everyone’s opinions to be heard and to be included in different ways. 

This year is the first year that there has been Co-Presidents for Student Council. This has allowed both girls to have the amazing position in our school but it makes it less stressful because they always have each other to lean on for help. 

Student Council is a way to get involved and to be able to be a leader in the school community.  It allows students to learn what goes on behind the scenes of all the fun events that happen throughout the year. It allows students to use their different skills to benefit their school community. 

Sophomore Representative Claire Bucher is serving her second year as a class representative.

“What I love most about Stuco is the people. We all work really well together and it is always so much fun,” Claire said. 

Student Council is especially pumped since everything is almost completely normal after Covid. They are ready for this year to be the best one yet. 

The old Executive Board handing off their positions to the new Executive Board at the end of last year. (Jen Bisch)