Be Your Own Valentine in 2022

Olivia Hattrich

Love sign in Campus Ministry

Olivia Hattrich, Senior Staff Writer

The start of February fills stores with flowers, hearts, and chocolates. Cheesy Valentine’s day quotes invade every social media platform. Valentine’s Day can be a stressful time for everyone, whether you are in a relationship or not. To combat the feeling of loneliness or stress during this time of year, try some ways to be your own valentine in 2022. 

• Try out a new Valentine’s Day recipe

While Valentine’s Day may not be the most popular holiday, it is undeniable that Valentine’s Day treats are irresistible. If you would prefer to take a break from the store bought conversation hearts and boxes of chocolates, a quick scroll through Pinterest is sure to spark plenty of ideas for a great new recipe to try. 

“Chocolate covered strawberries are always a crowd pleaser,” said senior Caroline Weber. 

• Watch a comfort movie 

Many use Valentine’s Day to binge watch every romantic movie that Netflix has to offer, but in order to take this day as a time to treat yourself, watching your favorite “comfort” movies can be a great way to focus on yourself. 

“‘Mean Girls’ never gets old,” said senior Mary Dill. 

Another great Valentine’s day watch can be a classic girl power movie. From “Clueless” to “Legally Blonde”, the options for movies that will motivate you to be a girlboss are endless. 

• Get outside 

The mid-February bitter cold might not be conducive to this, but oftentimes, the best way to boost your mood is getting some fresh air. According to a 2017 study, exposure to outdoor green spaces can reduce depression, anxiety, and mood swings. If you’ve got a few minutes to spare, bundle up and go for a walk!

• Take care of yourself 

Whatever taking care of yourself means, do it! While to some this might mean a ten-step skincare routine and to others this might mean an intense workout, its important to take the time to do the things that make you feel the best that you might not have time for in your everyday life. Browse Target for some fun new face masks! Take a hot shower! Call a friend that always makes you feel great!

“My go-to self care care is taking a nap or online shopping,” senior Margaret Sommers said.

While self care looks different for everyone, Valentine’s Day is a great time to prioritize yourself and be your own valentine.