Looking Forward to a Year of Memories

Frankie Schuman, Senior Staff Writer

It goes unsaid that the 2020-2021 school year was chaotic. Despite the many efforts from faculty and staff, St. Joe still lost many memories on which our community is built. This year, both students and staff are thrilled to be returning to normalcy to the best of their ability. The St. Joe community shares a drive to make up for the lost time.

From a survey of more than 200 current SJA students, more than 48 percent state that they are most excited to celebrate a normal Mission Week. However, Mission Week proved to be relatively successful during our previous school year, as only 18 percent of students said they missed it the most out of all school festivities. While St. Joe was able to participate in a Mission Month, it appears that the student-body, and probably the staff, prefer a more intimate and beautifully chaotic week. Either way, we remain excited for a week dedicated to service. 

Unsurprisingly, 35 percent of students missed school dances, such as Fall Ball and Junior Ring. About the same percent said that school dances are what they are most excited about for our current year. These dances create a buzz around the school that was missing last year, and our upperclassmen could not be more excited about their upcoming celebrations. 

Assistant Campus Minister, Mrs. Jamie Steinhart, is most excited for the “all school masses… and normalcy with Saint Joe Serves.” She, along with many members of our faculty, is looking forward to the faculty Christmas party. While the student body was missing many of the St. Joe famous traditions, clearly the faculty feels cheated from the pandemic, too. 

Our school maintained its family community through the year of COVID, but this year will be spent building off of that baseline. The staff and students are coming together to help repair any piece of our community that was shaken through the pandemic. Excitement surrounding these many events are helping to unite the community once again. The 2020-2021 year strengthened us individually, but it’s finally time to grow as one.