Taking Advantage of the New Global Education Opportunity at St. Joe

Brighton McDaniel, Senior Staff Writer

The Global Education Scholar program is a new select program at St. Joe. Global Education is the ability to understand the world as a global citizen by respectfully analyzing, communicating, collaborating, and engaging with global issues that typically examine the interconnectedness of the political, economic, cultural, historical, linguistic, theological, and environmental circumstances of the world. This program has been in the works for a while with English teacher and now Global Education Director Mrs. Katie Richardson. In this by-invitation-only program, one has the opportunity to listen to interesting speakers, attend global learning trips, and much more. Acceptance into this program allows for students to receive a special designation on their transcript and receive cords for participation. 

Mrs. Richardson said Global Education was part of the strategic plan put forth by the Board a couple of years ago.  She was immediately interested in it and began working with Dr. Mooney to move forward with research and professional development.

“ I think it’s a natural fit for SJA- our students are the future and understanding how to form and build relationships with people with intelligence, empathy, and understanding will make our world better for everyone,” Mrs. Richardson said. “ I think it will make our already strong women even stronger–ready to lead the world.

Currently, the program is open to sophomores. The Global Education Scholar program allows students to really explore the world in a new way.