Examining the first week of President Biden’s Executive Orders

Mary Dill

In his Presidency, Biden represents the nation.

Mary Dill, Digital Layout Editor

Joe Biden is America’s 46th President of the United States. Born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, the 77-year-old president is coming off of his sixth senator term in Delaware as the newly inaugurated president.

In, quite possibly- one of the closest- most dramatic Presidential races America has ever seen, Joe Biden secured the presidency by casting himself in a steady, experienced light. In his campaign, President Biden was highly critical of President Trump’s response to COVID-19, and he embellished healthcare as a top priority for his administration. Furthermore, President Biden takes a strong stance on raising the minimum wage and responding to families and businesses who have been struggling during the pandemic. Another key issue of Biden addresses Climate Change. He promised to rejoin the Paris agreement and take action wherever possible.

In his first week in office, President Biden signed a variety of bills and asserted his role as Commander-In-Chief, and now, almost three months into his presidency, one can see the effects of these bills first hand. In hopes of understanding the new administration better, it is vastly important to examine the bills that will most dramatically affect everyday Americans. 

Some of the recent Presidential actions include:

1. Rejoining the Paris Agreement

By far, this was one of the most highly anticipated promises of Biden’s campaign. As America rejoins, citizens cannot expect to see much change in their everyday affairs; however, the agreement requires that the country as a whole submits new targets, since the U.S. is the world’s second largest emitter of greenhouse gasses.

Junior Grace Bradley, a climate activist and an active supporter of the Paris Agreement, had her own personal opinions on this action.

“This has, honestly, been a long time coming. It’s really nice to see something so beneficial for the planet’s future occur,” Grace said.

Now, in March, the United States is expected to cut carbon emissions in half by the end of the decade, in order to set the stage for other high-emitting countries. President Biden, at this point, hopes to put America at zero carbon emissions by 2050, which is an incredibly ambitious, but feasible goal.

2. Creating the COVID-19 Pandemic Testing Board

With healthcare as one of President Biden’s top priorities, it is no surprise that one of his first executive actions relates to the global pandemic. The COVID-19 Pandemic Testing Board establishes the strategy for public health workers and expands testing. For example, there is now a possibility of bringing test manufacturing to the United States, which enhances lab testing by clarifying insurance coverage and prioritizing schools and other high risk populations.

On February 22, the United States reached a staggering 500,000 Covid deaths. Though this number is incredibly disheartening, and unsettling, it appears that March has brought a dramatic slow in deaths, and an increase in vaccine distribution. 

3. Facilitating the Stimulus Check

President Biden consistently talks of his plan to repair the American economy in the midst of COVID-19. In signing an executive order to facilitate the distribution of stimulus checks, Biden plans to boost payments to $2,000, extend unemployment insurance, and send billions of dollars to state and local governments. 

As the virus surged throughout the winter, it is apparent that a third stimulus check is necessary for many families. On March 11, 2021, President Biden’s American Rescue Act Plan was set into motion, as nearly all families will receive a payment of some sort with the third round of stimulus checks.

4. Reversing the Transgender Military Ban

In 2019, a portion of the nation and the LGBTQ+ community was outraged when Trump announced his plan to ban transgender people from the military. The policy has recently been repealed. As far as logistics, many of the policies set in place during the Obama administration can be reinstated, and they can be established in several weeks. 

Now, in March, though many people are still waiting for policies to be formalized, transgender people can begin a new era of open service in the military.

5. Nationally Strategizing and Preparing for the COVID-19 Response 

In the wake of the COVID-19 and the Biden Administration’s concern for healthcare, the White House released a COVID-19 Response. This response entails the restoration of trust with the American people, a vaccination campaign, new public health standards, emergency relief, safe reopening of schools and businesses, protection for those most at risk, and building preparedness for the future of healthcare.

In early March and in his first 58 days as president, the United States surpassed Biden’s original goal of 100 million vaccines in 100 days. At this point, the United States is administering roughly 2 million shots, per day.

Addie Engelmeyer, a public supporter of Biden’s campaign and an active student at St. Joe, reflected on his first month in office. 

“It’s certainly been memorable! It’s been really nice to see such an active administration in the White House,” she remarked.

Altogether, the Biden administration is turning his campaign promises into actions. He has taken drastic measures to create a memorable first week in the White House.