Leggings make “legal” appearance at St. Joe

Ava Perreand, Jazzy Saliba, and the rest of the St. Joe girls are excited about the new dress code around wearing leggings! (Photo Claire Price)

Alyssa LoPiccolo, Staff Writer

Starting this fall, there was a big change made to our school dress code. We are now allowed to wear leggings when we dress down. This was a big change that made dressing out a whole lot easier.

It all happened thanks to Sarah Gruensfelder, Sara Isaacson, Gretchen Allman, and Anna Sadlo. Although on the surface it seems a long time in the making, this all happened over the summer when these three students decided to take the initiative and voice their opinions against this rule.

They proposed their case to the administration, saying, “we simply wish to be able to be comfortable in the place that is supposed to be about our education”.

The plea was merely because of comfort and women empowerment, one of our school mottos.

“Strong values, Strong women,” senior Maddie Nicholson said. “Besides sweatpants, leggings are the only thing that are comfortable in my wardrobe, especially in the heat.”

It is so exciting that we no longer have to worry about wearing a sweatshirt around our waists, or a tshirt to our knees.

Just make sure the leggings are made of athletic material! There are many legging trends this fall in stores such as lululemon and Old Navy that adhere to this requirement. There are also fun new takes on traditional leggings, including camo print, high-rise, and the super trendy mesh-panel leggings. So, stock up and remain St. Joe worthy!