Ash Wednesday Leaves Its Mark on the St. Joe Community

Claire Shackleford

Seniors Kaylen Rice and Claire Shackleford cheerfully show off their ashes

Hadley Horner, Staff Writer

On Feb. 14, the Catholic community celebrated one of the most important holy days of the liturgical year; Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday opens the Lenten season, which lasts 46 days until Easter Sunday.

This holy day contains much significance and is celebrated after the ancient Jewish tradition of prayer and fasting. The wearing of ashes on the forehead is the main visual symbol and reminder on this day.

Anna Hotop, St. Joseph’s Academy campus minister, has knowledge of the symbolism and significance behind Ash Wednesday.

“The wearing of ashes on this day symbolizes the dust that God created us from and the grief from our sins and division from God,” Ms. Hotop said. “Since the ashes are a sign of penance, anyone is welcome to receive them.”

Additionally throughout Lent, the three main practices of prayer, fasting and almsgiving are observed. But the ways people can put these traditions into practice are limitless.

Kathie Hammell, St. Joseph’s Academy campus minister and theology teacher, believes there are many things people can do to make this Lent meaningful.

“There are so many ways to live in the spirit of lent. Just at school, we have a calendar of random acts of kindness outside of the campus ministry space as well as three glass jars in Campus Ministry that give opportunities to pray,” Ms. Hammell said. “There will be Reconciliation on March 26 as well as a phone free day to disconnect to reconnect.”

The entire goal of living out these practices during Lent is that people will bring themselves closer to God.

Senior Meghan Martin decided to give something up.
“I deleted snapchat and I have a lot more free time, and time to hang out with my family.” Meghan said.

“I am trying to stop gossiping.” freshman Sophia Kane said.

But for some, like senior Renee Yoon, giving up something does not prove to be helpful, so they instead practice something more meaningful to them.

“Instead of waking up in the morning and beating myself up, I am going to say one nice thing to myself.” Renee said.

“I am thinking of one blessing each day in a form of almsgiving.” senior Mallory Holzer said.
St. Joe along with the Catholic community embodies the essence of Lent through a multitude of ways in effort to become closer with God.

Seniors, Grace Conway and Margaret Blackburn smile with their ashes.