• Supporters of St. Josephs Academy raise money for the school at An Evening with the Angels.

auction

An Evening with the Angels: a Smashing Success Despite Relocation

• Taylor Swift accepting her Grammy for Album of the Year.

Features

Grammys Recap

• Fall 2023-24

Print Issues

Fall 2023-24

• A Thousand Boy Kisses is the novel to make you feel all of the emotions.

Arts

A Thousand Boy Kisses: My Opinion

• A handmade palm leaf cross from Palm Sunday reminds Catholics of the Lenten season.

campus ministry

Leaping into Lent

• A lady celebrates Mardi Gras by wearing traditional purple, green, and gold clothing for a parade.

Features

Marching Into Mardi Gras

• St. Joe student volunteers at St. Joe Serves.

campus ministry

Celebrating Catholic Schools Around the World

• Mr. Mikey Ward poses for a photo.

Features

Meeting Mr. Ward

• A Christmas tree glows brightly as it welcomes families into the Christmas season.

Features

Going Home for the Holidays

• St. Joe Junior Varsity Raquetball team having fun at practice.

Sports

Flying with the Angels into this Winter’s Racquetball Season

The Student News Site of St Joseph's Academy

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

DCC Dances of India/Deep Dive

The+mother+and+daughter+duo+from+Dances+of+India+demonstrate+their+skills+and+knowledge.+
Unknown
The mother and daughter duo from Dances of India demonstrate their skills and knowledge.

For SJA students and faculty, September 25 was a day of exciting DCC-sponsored activities. In the morning, the audience was enthralled as Indian performers displayed their beautiful art of traditional dance, while the afternoon featured a thoughtful discussion about body positivity. As a whole, St. Joe agrees that the DCC team has outdone itself by providing students with new experiences.

During Community Time, the students and faculty of St. Joe were treated to a breathtaking demonstration of Indian culture in the form of a distinctive dance. This artfully crafted performance starred two talented dancers from Dances of India STL. The duo explained the significance of their practice, which was both to educate others and to tell a beautiful story. 

The event kicked off with two dances, performed by each woman respectively. Lights dimmed, music floated through the air, and SJA students and teachers alike anticipated a marvelous show. Unsurprisingly, the onlookers received just that. The colorful attire, complex footwork, lucid movement, and emphasis on hand gestures blended to create an unforgettable experience. 

Sophomore Cecil Simpson believes the dance was a unique show that introduced her to unfamiliar concepts.

“I thought it was interesting seeing another style of dance other than the ones I know… and I liked the hand movements that symbolize different things!” said Cecil.

The fun had only just begun. After being met with roaring applause, the dancers requested several students join them on stage. Several enthusiastic girls immediately volunteered, excited to take part in the opportunity. Upon arrival, the group was instructed to follow along with the women. Junior Kathryn Portman recalls the thrill of participating in this unique activity.

“As I went up, I felt excited… to learn about Indian culture through dance because as a dancer, I was able to connect with it and enjoy it. I think the style is good for beginners while still holding meaning,” Kathryn said.

Overall, the consensus of the student and teacher body was that the performance was an entertaining and elegant demonstration of the ancient art form of Indian dance.

This expressive display was not the only highlight of the day. During lunch, the DCC Body Positivity Deep Dive, led by SJA Wellness Counselors Mrs. Wild and Ms. Versen, was open to all students as an informative discussion. Topics ranging from social media influence, unrealistic beauty standards, and personal body image prompted thoughtful consideration and conversation among attendees. As a DCC Representative, sophomore Kathryn Byrne considers the event to be a beneficial talk about an important topic.

“I believe that the DCC Body Positivity Deep Dive was a really good opportunity to have an open conversation about a diverse topic that many people don’t talk about,” Kathryn said.

During the DCC Deep Dive, attendees learned about positive body image and self love. (Anabel Gainey)

Additionally, the presentation included ways that students can maintain a healthy mindset about appearance by encouraging attendees to appreciate their unique qualities. An integral topic of the discussion was promoting self-love and refusing to let society dictate a person’s worth.

Many in attendance shared their own experiences while building each other up. Students present contributed to creating a judgment-free, supportive atmosphere, showcasing the strong bonds of the St. Joe community. Altogether, the body positivity talk encouraged students to cherish themselves for who they are and provided a safe space of acceptance and connection.

The DCC team provided a day where students could educate themselves 

while staying engaged and entertained. The dance spread awareness about the importance of Indian culture, while the deep dive discussed an important matter that affects girls universally. Overall, these were refreshing and delightful experiences for students, and they could not have happened without the hard work and dedication of DCC.