Cross Country Runs Towards State

Grace Maloney

Cross Country team after winning meet at Priory.

Kate Bittle, Senior Staff Writer

One of the fall sports that our Angels compete in is cross country. This sport competes against other schools in a 5k race. Each runner runs individually but their placement at the end of the game counts towards the team’s overall score. Angels have done very well this year, with both varsity and junior varsity placing in most of their meets, and getting second at districts. The team is excited to compete in state early this November. 

The team is coached by Scott House. Coach House has been coaching since he was 19, and has coached a variety of sports including volleyball, soccer, and lacrosse. He started coaching the cross country team last year along with track but has been running since college. Coach House is proud of the team this year,

“The team has got lots of talent and a lot of new talent, we have JV girls moving up to varsity,” he said.  “I want us to be a force to be reckoned with this season and next.” 

As cross country isn’t usually offered in elementary schools it is many of the girl’s first time running this sport, the majority of the team are underclassmen. Out of 21 runners, 16 of them are freshmen and sophomores. Many of the runners ran track last spring or plan on participating this spring. 

Senior Julia Castellano is sad that the season is coming to an end but happy for the friendships she made in the process.
“This team was some of the first people I got to know and now I think of them as another family,” She says. “I love our team this year, we’re doing very well. We all support each other and I’m going to miss it.” 

Many of the girls talked about the improvement that they have experienced since the season has started. Some girls have cut down their time by 2-3 minutes or more. Other girls talked about how great it has been getting to know other people. 

Overall, cross country gives team members the opportunity to challenge themselves and make new friends at the same time. The team is running state on November 5th at Columbia.