Senior night is a ‘swishing’ success for the St. Joseph’s Academy Angels

Seniors Alex Kerr (front) and Mary LaBelle (back) block out their opponents when fighting for a rebound.

Mr. Ervin Tyson, parent

Emily Ferbert, Staff Writer

The St. Joseph’s Angels basketball team wins won its senior night game on February 15, improving its record to 18-6.

The senior night basketball game for St. Joseph’s Academy was played at home with a roaring crowd cheering them on.  St. Joseph’s opponent, Visitation Academy, was a tough match but eventually the Angels pushed to win 52-44.

There are currently five seniors on the St. Joseph’s Academy basketball team:  Mary LaBelle, Alex Kerr, Anna Welch, Erika Pudlowski, and Annmarie Tyson.

“It felt great to hear so many students, parents, teachers, and the freshman and JV teams cheering for us. I could feel their energy on the court,” Alex said.

The team has been working hard all season and this win confirms the players’ excitement for what is to come.

“Our team this year has been great.  We have worked well together to beat some great teams.  For example, we beat Civic Memorial who was previously undefeated,” Alex said.

Alex, who stands at 6’2, is currently the only player confirmed to play in college.  She will be playing for Missouri S&T at the beginning of the fall. Alex has been playing basketball since kindergarten.

The head coach of St. Joseph’s Academy’s basketball team, Julie Matheny, has spoken highly of Alex’s talent.

“Alex is having a Championship Season” says Coach Matheny. “We will need her to stay healthy in order for the Angels to make this a really special season.”

Everyone on the basketball team is excited for playoffs and expects their team to perform well.

“I have been playing basketball since I was big enough to hold a ball,” Mary said. “I have been playing on a team since 3rd grade!”

She is excited to play in the tournament.

“We are so excited to strive to win 6 (State Championships) in row!” Mary LaBelle excitedly says.