Welcome Week — an SJA tradition

STUCO members kick off welcome week with the reveal of the theme and freshman hats

Sara Kirsh, Layout Editor

One of the best weeks of the year at St. Joe has arrived!

No atmosphere truly beats the upbeat nature and happy vibes of the students walking through the hallways, finally reunited with their classmates they haven’t seen for awhile. Welcome week is always a fun time that is loved by students of all classes.

Junior Alyssa Brinegar says, “It’s one of my favorite weeks of the year, and I am so excited!”

Welcome week is a long standing tradition that has been adored for many years by the Angels. Welcome Week takes place the second week of the school year. A highlight and a favorite event of the upperclassman of the week is the freshman hats.

Each year, student council chooses an “embarrassing” hat that must be worn by the freshmen all week long. The hat often sets the theme for the week. Last year, the freshman hat was a beach style straw hat, and the whole week had a beach theme. The year before that, the hats were plastic top hats which set the theme of the academy awards.

“It’s always fun to see what the hat will be,” Junior Anna Sadlo said.

Teasing upperclassmen tell freshmen to put on their hats if they see them in the hallways without them.  Each year there is also a t-shirt made to match the theme (but when is there not a t-shirt for a St. Joe event?).

Every other year, another fun Welcome Week tradition takes place, the hair donation. Unfortunately, this will not happen this year, but it is something for everyone to look forward, too. Last year, over one hundred girls lined up to donate eight or more inches of hair to the cause chosen. The atmosphere of the commons as girls wait to get their hair cut proves to be loving and supportive as their classmates cheer for, and sometimes comfort, friends that have just chopped off their precious locks so another girl somewhere in the world can feel beautiful with a new wig. This event occurs on the last day of welcome week each year to close out the week.

“It was so cool to see everyone donating their hair for such a good cause,” Junior Gracie Fiala said.

Also on the last day of Welcome Week, students receive the last year’s yearbook that they have waited for all summer.

Overall, Welcome Week welcomes all the students back and helps to usher in a great new school year.