SJA gets a makeover

Campus+ministry+is+under+wraps+while+construction+is+completed.+

Emma Heienickle

Campus ministry is under wraps while construction is completed.

Wow, what a summer, it is hard to believe it is already over. Students will miss summer, but look forward to seeing their friends again. They will look around the classroom and see all the changes that happened to their fellow classmates in just two short months: tans, new hairdos, and new stories to be shared.

This summer, SJA decided to jump on the bandwagon and also change it up. Students will arrive this fall with a new campus ministry room, Spirit Shop, student lounge and updated restrooms on the first floor. All are sure to excite the students.

Starting at the bottom floor with the pro shop, THE place to buy St. Joe clothing received a major renovation this summer. The Spirit Shop is no longer just a counter; SJA fans can now literally shop for their attire. The community can walk in and flip through the racks of clothing. Full of new wardrobe options, the Spirit Shop has lots to offer, which students are sure to love. The mother’s club manages the Spirit Shop and they love the new store!

Only take a short walk down the hall before you hit the next great change at the Academy: the student lounge and rec room. During the auction, students raised money for this space. The student lounge will be a place where as the name implies students can lounge and de- stress from school. It even includes activities like a shuffleboard table! In order to make the student rec room a success, a portion of the dance room was dedicated to the lounge. The dance room still looks great and spacious, and even received a new wall of mirrors.

On the main floor, you will see the new campus ministry space. Previously on the second floor, the new room will be bigger and in the heart of the school so more people can come and be involved. The campus ministry room is used to plan masses, retreats and special events. In addition, students are always welcome to come and hang out.

Ms. Anna Hotop, the campus minister, said “in the past we would have to close campus ministry while we had retreat planning meetings…now, the new meeting space in the back will allow us to keep it open.”

Campus ministry will now be located where instrumental ensemble class and the rocket club met last year. The ensemble is moving downstairs next to the chorus room and the rocket club with be located in Mr. Stein’s Engineering room.

“I can’t wait to see the ways that God works through it… it truly is a place for every single Angel!” Ms. Hotop said excitedly.

Also on the first floor are the new renovated bathrooms. Ms. Davis says she is excited for the restrooms because she has been pushing for them for a long time. She believes all the students will love the new look. The entire floor of the restroom has been redone and it looks great!

In addition to the physical changes at school, the school’s schedule is getting a renovation. Instead of the previous seven classes in a semester, students now have the option to take an eighth class.

To make this happen, the day starts ten minutes earlier and will end five minutes later. Students who wish to only take the seven classes will have a study hall. The extra time during the day will help these students stay on top of the work load.  Furthermore, the students who wish to take an eighth class have that option.

St. Joe faculty are always coming up with ways for the school to improve and become bigger and better. With all the changes this year, SJA students are sure to love coming to school even more than ever. The student lounge, campus ministry room, Spirit Shop, renovated bathrooms, and updated schedule will definitely make for an exciting year.