Dancing Through the Night at Sophomore Dance

Collage+of+students+from+past+years+all+smiling+at+their+Sophomore+Dance.+

(Unknown)

Collage of students from past years all smiling at their Sophomore Dance.

Jo Carollo, Senior Staff Writer

For the sophomore class, February 17 was an important day because that night was their Sophomore Dance. Feelings of excitement and nervousness were common in the upcoming days of the dance as students were awaiting for the day of the dance to finally arrive. 

Preparing began months prior to this date as class officers had the responsibility of setting up decorations, collecting permission forms, designing T-shirts, and more.  Once the sophomore class voted for their favorite option for the theme and decided on a theme around the musical  Mamma Mia. This hard work all paid off once everything was ready for the dance. 

Mrs. Allison Koob, social studies teacher and sophomore class coordinator, helped organize this event. She loved this job since the dance was her favorite memory when she attended St. Joe.

One of the most important preparations for every girl was shopping, and choosing the perfect dress. Each girl wanted to ensure that the dress fit her perfectly, looked pretty, and was comfortable. Sophomore Caroline Joyce took many precautions to guarantee there would be no issues. 

“I ordered several dresses from different websites to make sure I had at least one dress that I could wear. I just wanted to look my prettiest since there is only one sophomore dance!” Joyce said. 

When the day finally arrived, the excitement was easily observed in the sophomore hallway. It was a sea of purple because the students could wear their themed shirts. All you could hear were conversations about the dance. The day flew by for these students as they were awaiting for the night. 

Once everyone arrived, bright smiles were on everyone’s faces. All the different dresses created a beautiful scene of color in the Commons. 

The St. Joe gym was an energy-filled place as a crowd formed around the DJ. Students danced to many songs, but Rihanna was the favorite artist for many, especially for Sophomore Addie Martin. 

“Ever since the Super Bowl Halftime Show, I, along with many of my friends, have become obsessed with Rihanna and I think the DJ knew it. Every Rihanna song gave everyone the most energy. The dance floor was definitely my favorite place throughout the night,” Addie said.

Three Sophomore students, (from left to right) Carter Eiseman, Caroline Chier, and Audrey Weiler, smiling together at their Sophomore Dance. ((Unknown))

It was a great experience for students to spend time together outside of the classroom and bond through this night. Sophomore Caroline Chier loved to connect with some of her classmates not in school. 

“Although I spend almost every day with these girls, I never talk to them outside of classes since we have different friends. This really gave me the opportunity to get to know them not in a classroom setting which I really appreciated,” Chier said. 

For some of the sophomores, this was their first dance ever in their life, but for everyone, it was their first dance at St. Joe. By the end of the night, each student agreed that the night exceeded their expectations. From the fun dance floor to the colorful decorations, every part of this dance was perfect in creating a memorable night for this class.