St. Joe FALLS into the fall spirit

A+pumpkin+carved+for+Halloween%2C+to+be+used+as+fall+decoration.+

Lizzy

A pumpkin carved for Halloween, to be used as fall decoration.

Lizzy Khater, Senior Staff Writer

As summer days come to an end, and nature is painted in shades of red, orange, and yellow, St. Joe finds itself in the midst of the numerous beauties and “spookies” of the season of fall. As people begin to adjust to this time of year’s chilly evenings and leaf-littered sidewalks, they must be prepared to make the most of their fall season experiences. 

With all kinds of fall and Halloween related activities, a guide of recommended and enjoyable pursuits can prove extremely helpful. Individually or with a group of friends, there are countless interests and delights to pursue during this season. 

To start off, there are a couple of easy steps to help people leave the embraces of summer, and get into the spirit of fall and Halloween. One way is to purchase some decorations to put up on the porch, or around the house. It could be as simple as placing a pumpkin or two outside, or going a step further and taking inspiration from the St. Joe commons entrance decorations. 

A chalk illustration welcoming the new season of fall, featuring a collection of red and orange leaves. (Lizzy )

The scene created in front of this entrance frames a wide black bench with dried corn stalk bundles fastened to the two brick pillars on either side. Additional decorations such as smiling scare-crows are propped up on haystacks. Pots exhibiting small scarlet and yellow buds are placed symmetrically on either side, and multiple pumpkins in various sizes and colors are displayed among the rest of the decorations. This display incorporates the colors of fall as well as the different themes associated with this season, creating a well balanced view. 

Additionally, exploring this season’s food and drink specialties is another way to get into the fall mood. A common blend that many see during this time of year is pumpkin spice. Many St. Joe students, such as junior Renee Olateru, enjoy this as a flavor as well as a fall scent. 

“During fall, I love buying pumpkin spice lattes and candles,” Renee said. 

Other pumpkin related activities include visiting local pumpkin patches that offer entertainment for all ages. There, you could venture into a corn maze with friends, as well as go on hay rides and appreciate the new scenery. The beautiful weather and nature changes that come with fall, are something for nature lovers to admire. That group of people includes junior Malae Hill. 

“I love watching as the leaves change color during Fall,” junior Malae Hill said. “It’s my favorite part.”

However, let not the most obvious and common activity to do at a pumpkin patch go forgotten: searching for, and purchasing one or more pumpkins to take home. There are many pumpkins in all different shapes, sizes, and colors to choose from for all the different uses one can wield them for. 

For instance, people can go for the classic approach to use them as decoration. Either carved into an interesting and unique design, or left untouched, they continue to add to the fall spirit. They can also be used to make pies or one can have their pumpkin seeds roasted for a fall snack. 

While many of the above are mainly day activities, there are still several opportunities to enjoy fall this October and for the coming months. One of which is to host a movie night for friends, family, or simply yourself. Deck out the living room table with all kinds of snacks and foods, get cozy in comfortable clothes and fuzzy socks, and enjoy a nice movie on a chilly evening. 

Another idea requires good timing, as well as a quiet and isolated outdoor space, away from bright lights. This activity is also one for those who love to admire the outdoors, since there are various opportunities for stargazing this October. People can watch as Jupiter continues on its path, gradually getting closer, then further away from the moon. When using a watchful eye, Saturn can be spotted some distance away from Jupiter. 

Moving on to some of the meteor showers that will take place this month, the first being Draconids with an expected dozen or so meteors per hour. Next, Orionids, which goes on into the month of November and peaks on October 21-22. This meteor shower is named after the way it seems to come from the constellation Orion. 

Lastly, the full moon, called the Hunter Moon, will appear on the night of October 9, and on the 25, there will be a partial solar eclipse. Although this eclipse will most likely not be seen from North America, it can still be viewed on some news channels or through images. 

St. Joe’s decorated commons entrance that includes a good balance of fall colors and themes. (Lizzy Khater)

As St. Joe “falls” into the fall spirit this year, there are many activities and events for people to mark on their calendars. Whether someone is rounding up a group of friends or choosing to go individually, there is guaranteed to be an interest that catches one’s eye, which can lead to the discovery of new seasonal favorites or hobbies. Happy fall!