How to Prepare for Exams

Ms. Amy Hanson-Summers

Mrs. Haddock works with two juniors, Annie Marquitz and Kate Underwood.

Lizzie Balestreri, Print Managerial Editor

The time of year for students to feel stressed about exams has approached. In the previous 2020-2021 school year, there were changes to how St. Joe’s exam week took place, in accordance with COVID-19. However, the exam season has begun to return to normal for this 2021-2022 school year. 

Stop Day is a unique opportunity for students to meet with their teachers and ask any last-minute questions or confer any topics needed. This year’s Stop Day will take place on Friday, December 17. Stop Day lasts from 8:15 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. Make note that arriving at school this day is not mandatory, and parents will not be called if one does not come to school. Teachers will be available to meet individually or with a group. Another option students have is to have their own individual study time or group study times, instead of or in addition to meeting with teachers. It is advisable for students to choose the best way for them to study– whether it be at school or at home. For those wondering what to wear, the school uniform is not required, and casual attire is allowed (i.e. sweatpants, hoodies, Uggs, etc.). The only clothing requirement is that one is to be dressed SJA worthy. 

The first day of exams takes place on Monday, December 20. The first exams are English, which begins promptly at 8:15 a.m. and ends at 9:45 a.m., and Science, which begins at 10:30 a.m. and ends at 12:00 p.m.. However, if a student is taking two science classes, they will take their second science exam on Wednesday, December 22 at 10:30 a.m.. Following the English and Science exams is the World Language exam and the Social Studies exam, which both take place on Tuesday, December 21. The World Language exams begin at 8:15 a.m. and end at 9:45 a.m. and the Social Studies exams begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at 12:00 p.m.. The last exam is the Math exam, which takes place on Wednesday, December 22 at 8:15 a.m. and ends at 9:45 a.m.. If a student will be out of town, is sick, or has any other pre-approved conflicts, they can take their exam on Wednesday, December 22 at 10:30 a.m.. 

Senior Sam Stryker feels as though she is well-prepared for her exams this year. 

“With every year passing by, I am able to learn how my work and study ethic is for me and I’m able to adapt and change what needs to be changed to prepare me better for test-taking. I always do some yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises the morning of each of my exams, which has benefitted my brain and my well-being,” she said. 

Junior Anna Duncan takes on studying for her exams with a more social aspect. 

“Each year, I’ve gotten into study groups for the subjects I needed more help with with other girls from the class and it has really helped me prepare for keeping track of all the material we learned in class,” she said. 

There are many methods of successfully preparing for exams, including studying, self-care, getting enough sleep, advocating for oneself on Stop Day by asking for any last-minute clarification, and many more. When it comes to studying for exams, it is wise to figure out what one’s study methods are, preferably several weeks, or even months, before the tests. Studying with no distractions such as friends, family, or technology is very helpful for students wanting to excel in midterms. Self-care, such as taking a relaxing bath, listening to music, reading a book, etc. is also important to remember to partake in to help prepare. 

In closing, it is clear that each student has their own individual and unique study ethic for preparing for exams. Speaking with teachers or study groups on Stop Day can be very instrumental when getting ready for the stress-awaiting exam season. Being prepared is a key aspect. It is crucial to get enough rest before each exam day. Exams can be stressful, but it is crucial to keep a positive mindset throughout the whole time to fully do one’s best on their exams.