LACE Groups Celebrate the Holiday Season

Mary Dill

Mr. Jendraszak’s LACE enjoyed Chick-Fil-A after their gift exchange.

Mary Dill, Editor-in-Chief

In the midst of the 2021 holiday season, and finals for many students, St. Joseph’s Academy LACE groups found ways to unwind, and contribute to holiday festivities. 

During the 2019-2020 school year, the St. Joe Administration introduced LACE, or Learning And Connecting Everyone, as a way for students to build relationships with staff, and fellow students in their grade. Thus far, the community has been very successful, and many students have come to enjoy LACE in a unique way.

For freshmen in particular, LACE is a great way to bond with new girls, other than their specific friend group, or locker buddy.

“I love my LACE,” freshman Libby West said. “As a Freshman, it’s become an opportunity to bond with some girls who I would never normally talk to, and encouraged me to be in closer contact with my teachers.”

This year, many LACE groups opted into holiday parties as a way to relieve stress in the busyness of the finals season. White elephants, fuzzy sock exchanges, Secret Santas, and candy swaps were common experiences for students in LACE over the last few weeks.

Sophomore Eliza Kelly is experiencing her first year with real St. Joe LACE. Her class is bonding, and finding ways to have fun with each other.

“This year, in my LACE, we didn’t really do a party. But, we got to have candy from the front office and enjoy our classmates!”  Eliza said.

Mr. Jendraszak’s LACE went in a different direction. 

“We were ready early this year,” senior Margaret Sommers said. “Everyone participated in a White Elephant of random, funny objects. Most of the girls went to a Dollar Tree to pick out some hilarious, useless stuff, and we all wrapped it up to give to each other.”

Margaret also mentioned that her LACE pitched in to get Chick-Fil-A chicken minis, which they ate, socially distanced.

Seniors who have experienced LACE for the last three years have really enjoyed getting to know, and bonding with their peers through the experience. 

This Holiday season in particular, many students enjoyed the relief of LACE Holiday parties, and spending time with their school friends, whom they may not have met otherwise.