Angels serve on World Food Day

Claire Shackleford

Pictured from left to right- Mr. Jendrasak, Claire Shackleford (senior), Jessica Lindloff (junior), Kristin Strout (junior), Maggie Hannick (junior), Sophie Lodes (senior), Nicole Bergen (freshman), and Margie Lodes (sophomore).

November 3 was St Louis World Food Day, a day when volunteers come together to package food for people both in St. Louis and in other countries. This year eight SJA students from Pax Christi and theology teacher Mr. Andrew Jendraszak participated in the city-wide event.

The event lasts the entire day, and is meant to bring awareness and understanding to the fact that there are people going hungry all across the world, as well as to take action by assembling thousands of meals. The meals consist of rice and soy protein meals and macaroni and cheese.  

At the 2017 event 505,806 meals were packaged, all in one day!

St. Joe students have been volunteering at St. Louis World Food Day for the past five years, as well as participating in the High School Rally Night for Hunger and Hope where high schools come together to package 100,000 meals!

Junior Maggie Hannick, who organized the team of SJA girls this year, said that she is happy to participate in this “lifesaving, unifying, inspiring, powerful, amazing, and beautiful” experience. Mr. Andrew Jendraszak, the chaperone for this event, said that “it’s neat that it’s not just St. Joe that does this; so many different high schools are coming together to help people who are experiencing hunger.” World Food Day is an opportunity for St. Joe, and all schools, to live out our motto: Not I, But We.