St. Joe Celebrates Giving Tuesday

Sophomore angels (back row: Grace Aromando, Emma Mcmullen, Olivia Sullivan, Allie Westphale, and Katie Young and front row: Maggie Keusenkothen, Grace Schad, Sophie Devlin, Katie Wells, and Morgan Jarman ) pass out coffee to parents on Giving Tuesday.

Parker Lewallen, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, November 28, St. Joseph’s Academy celebrated Giving Tuesday along with the rest of the world.

“GivingTuesday is a day to give back and come together to transform the way people think about, talk about, and participate in the season of giving,” Kara Kieffer, marketing coordinator at SJA, said.

Money made during the day goes to supporting the school through student scholarships, Heart of an Angel Fund, STEM, Fine Arts, Angel Athletic Fund, and more. Besides a direct donation, money was also  made through a collaboration with Cup of Joe.

All profits made that day went towards Giving Tuesday and coffee was offered to parents at drop-off for a donation.

It was really nice to see how caring people can be.

— Grace Schad

“After giving out coffee, I realized how many people truly want to improve our St. Joe community without expecting something in return,” sophomore Maggie Keusenkothen said.

Grace Schad agrees.“It was really nice to see how caring people can be.”

Alumnae are also involved in helping with Giving Tuesday. Newly added this year was the use of an app called Venmo, which was popular with the alumnae in college.  Alumnae competed in “Battle of the Classes” where each class strived for the most participation of the day.

The winner this year was the class of 2005. Overall, St. Joe’s day of giving turned out to be a success.

“By the end of the day, we surpassed our GivingTuesday goal and broke the Academy’s record for giving on this day!” she said.