Open House: Angels show off St. Joe to prospective Students

+Mrs.+Sudekum+and+Dr.+Mooney+talk+with+a+perspective+family+about+the+benefits+of+coming+to+St.+Joe

Kara Keifer

Mrs. Sudekum and Dr. Mooney talk with a perspective family about the benefits of coming to St. Joe

Lauren Harrison, Staff Writer

On November 5, St. Joe opened its doors to more than 250 prospective families for tours of the school building.

From noon until 4:30 P.M., about 150 St. Joe students showed these families the classrooms, introduced them to teachers, and told them all about curriculum and student life. While most of the tour guides were members of the Ambassador Society, some were also ordinary students willing to help out. Not only were the students involved, teachers presided over interactive classroom activities and talked to the parents. It was a great day to share appreciation and information about St. Joe.

Every year in the beginning of November, high schools in St. Louis welcome prospective students to attend their Open Houses. On this day, typically a Sunday, students and their families that have an interest in attending a specific school or schools visit them to catch of glimpse of what life is like there. They get the chance to find out about the curriculum, sports, faith life, counseling, student life, and more. Open House is a great way for grade schoolers and their families to begin and expand on their high school search.

“It takes the whole school community to prepare for Open House,” Mr. Michael Wade, Director of Admissions, said.

First, the members of the Ambassador Society are asked to participate by being tour guides.

“Then, we reach out to the rest of the student body because we want to give everybody a chance to tell their story and show everyone around the school,” Mrs. Cori Sallaberry, Associate Director of Admissions, said.

Also, the school building must look its best. With thanks to maintenance and faculty, cobwebs are dusted off, floors are polished, and windows are cleaned, making the building look spectacular. Teachers play an important role in the big day too.

“The teachers did a great job with preparing different activities in their classrooms from powerpoints to hands-on activities,” Mr. Wade said.

A variety of activities were held around the school. The Voice and Lit Mag writers presented prospective families with information about their clubs outside of Mrs. Summers’ room, Dr. Davidson had students creating robots in the digital innovation space, and the Frontenac Voices sang beautiful tunes in the theater.

Not only is Open House a great opportunity for guests to continue their high school search, it is also a great way for St. Joe students to share their SJA experience and spread appreciation for the school.

“It was so amazing to be a tour guide, especially when one of the moms I gave a tour to had done YIG and CONA,” junior Sarah Isaacson said. “It was so incredible being able to connect with them on something we both love so much!”

Junior Madeline Gloriod loved the school spirit that she observed all day long.

“My favorite part of Open House was seeing all of the students and faculty come together and embrace the spirit of ‘Not I, But We’ to show all potential future Angels how truly amazing this school is!” Madeline said.

Both of these girls clearly were able to connect with the families and enjoyed giving the tours. It is a great way to participate as a member of the St. Joe community and welcome more people into it.

According to Mr. Wade, the goal of Open House at SJA is “to stimulate interest and get grade schoolers to want to shadow our school.”

Mr. Wade believes goal was definitely accomplished.

Mr. Wade and Mrs. Sallaberry mentioned the positive feedback they heard from families during and after they received their tour of the school. They enjoyed seeing the school and thought the tour guides did a wonderful job.

Overall, Open House was a great success and it brought the SJA community together to spread a love for the school.  

Kara Keifer
Sophomore Grace Dolan with Juniors Caroline Cutler, Bella Lorenz, Maggie Kutz, Maggie Hannick, Maria Haro, and Riley Davis are excited to give tours to prospective families.