Athlete of the Month: Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith takes a huge jump to hit the volleyball.

Emma Spitznagel, Staff Writer

Morgan Smith, who is currently a senior at SJA, has been playing volleyball since she was in third grade.  She started of her volleyball career by playing for her grade school, Mary Queen of Peace.  She started playing competitive club volleyball in fifth grade.  Currently, she plays for Rockwood Thunder VBC.  Also, she has played volleyball all of her four years at SJA, making this her final season.   Morgan played on the junior varsity team her freshman year and for one week of sophomore year, and played on the varsity team for a majority of her sophomore year, junior year,  and now senior year.  Her specific position on the court is as a right side hitter/outside hitter.

Morgan will be continuing her volleyball career in college, playing for Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri next year.  She verbally committed to Truman in July of this year.  Morgan explains she chose the school Truman “because it fit what I was looking for athletically and academically.  They have a very competitive program and it is also challenging academically.”  She also included that Truman won their conference last year.  When asked why she choose to play volleyball in college, she explained that “I loved the game too much to just stop”.

Morgan states that her favorite thing about volleyball is “the team aspect of getting super close with your teammates and also having people depend on you as well as you depending on them”

Morgan is very successful on and off the court.  She excels in her academics and is involved in many clubs and activities around school.  While being enrolled in many honors classes, Morgan is a Spirit Club officer, president of National English Honors Society, and involved in Beta Chi Pi, Mu Alpha Theta, and National Honors Society.

We wish Morgan good luck as she finishes up her last volleyball season SJA, and as she prepares to continue her volleyball career at Truman!

I loved the game too much to just stop

— Morgan Smith